Monday, October 19, 2009

Observations in Meditation

It's funny how the mind works. The mechanism of the meditation is to be simply aware, without conscious thought. The goal is to be a mirror, with your awareness simply recognizing thoughts, memories, snippets of songs and so forth but not thinking of them with your awareness.  As I sat in the Formlessness, from time to time these stray thoughts entered my consciousness. I can't say how often or rapidly they came forward, because the state of Void is timeless. However, what I noticed was that when these thoughts came in, there was a distinct but subtle sense of pressure, of tightening when they entered my awareness. This sensation I had not considered before, but the sensation became more distinct as the meditation continued and seemed to have varying (albeit subtle) levels of intensity.

The second perception I have had before was that as I sat in my Aware state, at varying intervals these stray thoughts would come across my consciousness and were recognized as separate from my awareness. This awareness has been reached before, but in the past had been a temporary stage, a perception acquired after long, hard work. This perception of course is easily intellectually achieved but that is hardly the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment